The Bee Breeders Melbourne Tattoo Academy architecture competition is calling for submissions for a building complex that would function as a school for the art of tattooing in the heart of Melbourne.
As the unofficial cultural capital of Australia, Melbourne is a diverse and open-minded city, and is home to many key arts outlets from film and television industries, to contemporary dance, theatre, street art and music. This makes it an ideal location to explore this ancient artform that is still relevant and popular in today’s modern culture.
Set in one of Melbourne’s most popular areas, the Tattoo Academy would have the potential to become a local landmark as well as a popular tourist attraction, furthering the city’s reputation as an arts and culture hub.
The Melbourne Tattoo Academy architecture competition is tasking participants with creating designs for a building in one of the most popular locations of this multicultural city, where the art of tattooing can be practiced and the stigma broken. The main purpose of the building should be to function as a school for the art of tattooing, offering space for workshops, accommodation in the form of a hostel, and a public gallery/meeting area as well as a conceptual café.
The academy should have the potential to become a recognisable landmark for the locals, as well as a popular tourist attraction for international visitors. Designs should be bold and creative, and in keeping with the vibe and atmosphere of one of the world’s most diverse and open-minded cities.
- Early Bird Registration: July 7 – August 3
- Advance Registration: August 4 – August 24
- Last Minute Registration: August 25 – September 21
- Closing date for registration: September 21, 2015
- Closing date for submission: October 12, 2016
- Announcement of the winners: October 26, 2016
- Early Bird Registration: US $80 / US $60
- Advance Registration: US $100 / US $70
- Last Minute Registration: US $120 / US $80
- 1st prize winner – US $3,000
- 2nd prize winner – US $1,500
- 3rd prize winner – US $500
- Student award – US $500
- Green award – US $500